About Me

My photo
Joel and I finally decided to join the fun with the Blog crowd. I hope that you enjoy all of our adventures

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

For those of you who do not know... I went to the doctor on Monday for my weekly routine check up. I found out, to my suprise, blueberry was breech. They gave me one of two options: They could try an all external procedure called ECV (External Cephalic Version) to try and flip the baby in the head down position or they could schedule a C-section. I was really hoping to avoid surgery if at all possible so I opted to do the first procedure. This ECV has 68% success rate, and they perform it in the OR with you prepped and ready so that if anything goes astray you are ready for a C-section. I checked in this morning at 6am to Labor and Delivery where they strapped a fetal heart monitor on my belly and went to town with consent forms, IVs, questions I had, etc. They got me all ready, gave Joel a set of scrubs, then took us to the operating room. They did a spinal block on me, which numbs you from the waist down, a really unusual sensation. Once I was all numb it was time. They put the jelly on the belly with the ultrasound machine in tow and the fetal heart monitor on and began pushing very aggresively on my belly, the reason for the pain meds. The doctor explained they do not push on the actual baby they push around her to make her uncomfortable so that she will want to move. They tried one way and she was not going to budge but whenever they tried the opposite direction she flip right over into the head down position. YIPPEE!! That meant no immediate C-section. They now had to monitor me and blueberry for the next several hours to make sure we were still doing okay and that she did not decide to flip back. (only a 4% chance) I was able to come home around 3pm whenever the pain meds wore off and they were sure we were both doing well. The put me on bed rest for a few days and said I will probably be sore but everything looked good. That is the story. I attached a picture of Joel and I waiting to go into the OR. I am so thankful Joel was able to be with me every step of the way, he help me stay calm and together. I am so lucky for his sweet spirit and great sense of humor. Thanks again for the prayers and I will let you know whenever blueberry decides to make her grand appearance.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you girl! I am glad all went well today. Hang in there! Your peace is an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Anna and I were just talking yesterday about how calm you were. We both agreed we would have been in tears from the start. Thanks for the details of the version. I had no idea it was done in the OR- makes sense though. You guys look so official in the scrubs. I'm so so glad it went well! Looks like you're one step closer to having her in your arms. It won't be long now! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. So happy to hear all is well. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete