About Me

My photo
Joel and I finally decided to join the fun with the Blog crowd. I hope that you enjoy all of our adventures

Monday, April 2, 2012

Onward Christian Soldier

Ephesians 6 describes the armor of God and charges us as believers to only go into battle once we have prepared ourselves with the weapons He has given us. Until today, it had always been a metaphor. Today, for the first time, I went to church armed…literally. I attended the North KAIA/IJC (Kabul International Airport / ISAF Joint Command) chapel lead by Chaplain Col Thomas. Everyone in the chapel, except the chaplain himself, had either a pistol or rifle with them as it is required at this camp. Never have I felt such a connection with the late Charlton Heston, a man who brought Moses’ character to life in the Ten Commandments and later when on to be the spokesperson for the NRA. I’d like to think I made him proud today. With a congregation of around 30, a 5-person chorus led us through an array of praise songs. All were protestant songs with a gospel flare. They swayed as we clapped and sang a cappella. I got the feeling they usually have instruments but today it was not an option for some reason. I was elated to be in church while deployed. During my last deployment, my flying schedule rarely allowed me to go but this time around, I should be able to attend nearly every Sunday.

When I got there, it donned on me, today is Palm Sunday! Holy Cow… I had completely lost track of the date and what was going. In my defense, usually I’m surrounded by a lot more Easter decorations, eggs, bunnies, and pastel outfits. This place doesn’t really exude the Easter spirit. Well, I take that back. Growing up, Mom always liked to put us in matching outfits. The most memorable was the year Dad and I wore matching tan suites and the girls wore the same dress. Well, here, all my friends are wearing the same green and tan shirt-pant combo with matching shoes as well. I guess it is Easter!

Between the singing and the sermon, the chaplain asked for prayer praises and then requests. Of course, the biggest prayer request on Christy’s and my mind over the last few months was this deployment and all aspects of it. Now that I’m sitting in a room full of people on 6-month and 12-month orders, my mind went blank. God got me here and is taking care of my family. My God is a mutli-tasker. He can watch me, my family, and still do more great things. Today, He impressed on my heart to start praying like a varsity Christian. Of course he is going to watch over me and my loved ones and He’ll enable me to accomplish my worldly goals such as ACSC and physical fitness, but what else can I be doing here. Well, I have two roommates who may or may not know him. I work with several civilian controllers who cuss as much as any group of individuals I’ve been around. I’ve been given ample amounts of free time to study, pray, meditate, read, and write. What do I need to do with this time? That will be the answer I need to figure out.

It’s good to be back in church. I’m going to like attending this chapel and I’m grateful it is available to me. If you need to find me next Sunday at 0900, I’ll be in the chapel with a Bible in my hand and a gun strapped to my thigh. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment